Saturday, April 25, 2009

Greetings Earthlings!

Well we knew that the last blog was not the most exciting, so we had to go out and do a bunch of crazy stuff so we'd have SOMETHING to write about.

We made our way to Queenstown a.k.a the adrenalin capitol of the world, and certainly does earn it's name!! In this one little mountain town, you have the option to basically throw yourself off and from anything, and any height. Sky dive, Bungy, Canyon swing, parasail, paraglide...you name it. Now before I came out here, I was certain that I had a serious fear of heights. I realized it was not that bad after our day at rock n' ropes where I did the whole high wire trapeze deal, but this place was chalenging me once again. I kept trying to convince Char that just because we were there did not mean in any way that we had to die there. Bungy was out of the question for some reason, it seemed silly to me. Sky diving was a liiiitle pricey, so she convinced me to try the Canyon Swing. This starts at 600 meteres above the ground (which consists of a rushing river and lots of sharp rocks) and you free fall for about 150 meteres and swing for another 200 meteres. Many ways you can chose to do this, like sitting on a chair and having them push you off, or going off backwards, forwards, ninja kicks, being suspended upside down and pulling the pin yourself, anything your little crazy heart desires really. Char chose the backwards method, and I chose the handstand (do a handstand while they hold your feet, count to three and push yourself off face first). I figured if i was gonna do it, I was gonna do it with style! Anyways, needless to say we were both scared shitless, but as most of you have seen on facebook, we did it, and we did it well. Now that I have had a taste of the adrenalin rush, I want more. It was the craziest feeling I have ever felt, and it is seriously adictive. As they say out in Queenstown, "Gravity is a toy!" and I want more!!!

We spent a few days in Queenstown because we actually had FRIENDS there, yaaaay to friends!! We parked outside their house and slept in our van, but had access to anything we wanted inside. We were mostly grateful for the company though. Really cool peeps, and we had a blast.

Oh, another good time in Queenstwon was the walk up a mountain. Just a small lil' guy, only took about an hour to get up. Usually I find that when you walk up a mountain and curse your way to the top, you get there, and ya it feels great, because the view is beautiful and you did it!! This mountain was different...when you get to the top there is much more than just a view. There is a cafe/ bar/ restaurant and .....THE LUGE!! The luge as you are obviously wondering is basically a go cart track downhill around the mountain. OH YEAH!! Get your helmet on, have a quick lesson on the go cart, which has no gas pedal because you are going downhill so it doesn't need one, but thankfully has a break! We did two runs of that and again were left wanting more. THAT is what I hope to find at the top of a mountain, and was the ONLY mountain that Char enjoyed climbing.

About a week of Queenstown and we were spent. We decided to head out to the more chilled out mountain town Wanaka. Here is where we checked out puzzling world, there is not really a good way to describe it, so you'll just have to check out the pics on facebook and figure it out yourslef, but it was a good time! In the evening we went to a local movie theatre in town which has big comfy sofas to sit on and baked fresh cookies for half time. Mmmm they were DELISH!!

We are slowly making our way back to the north island, we are both getting very anxious to get to Australia. We want warm weather, and believe it or not...jobs! Well, I think we can both go longer without jobs, but I think with jobs, comes friends, and maybe some time apart once in awhile would also be nice. Absence makes the heart go fonder unno?

Tomorrow we head back to Greymouth where we have signed up for a day of Knife making. We get to make our own knife, and apparently will not have trouble getting through the airport, ha...I guess we'll see!

I hope you all have enjoyed the pics and video of our Canyon Swing on facebook, and if you haven't seen, what are ya waiting for??

Love you and miss you,

Char & Tys